Tuesday 14 October 2014

Sexual harassment: Why I’m not yet famous in Nollywood –BANKE ADEWUNMI

Banke Adewunmi, a Nol­lywood actress and a graduate of Microbiology from Ogun State Univer­sity started acting four years ago. The pretty ac­tress recently spoke to The Entertainer, opening up on her four-year sojourn in the movie industry and the issue of sexual harassment.


Why did you decide to take acting as a career?

I have been in love with acting since my secondary school days. I usually did funny stuff back then among my peers. Though, I did other businesses aside acting, after my university education, I decided to take the plunge into acting since I have passion for it; I just had to go back to my first love.

Why did you study Microbiology and not Theatre Arts?

I decided to study Microbiology because my parents did not want me to act at all. All they were interested in was for me to study a science oriented course and so I had to comply but my heart remained with acting.

Which Nigerian actors or actresses inspire you most?

Omotola Jalade and Genevieve Nnaji; they are both fabulous and I draw a lot of inspiration from them.

How did you hook up with the Odunfa Caucus?

I joined through the assistance of Alhaji Taiwo Hassan (Ogogo) who is also from my homestown.

When was the first time you acted and how was the experience like?

Wow! That was in 2010. Acting for me then was a different ball game en­tirely because I fidgeted a bit. However, because I have always had the passion to act, I quickly adjusted. I was like, ‘Banke, you’re here for business so there is no going back!’

You have acted in English films, why did you dump English for Yo­ruba despite the fact that English movie producers pay more money?

I decided to move to Yoruba mov­ies because of my business. Most of the English films are done outside of Lagos which is the reverse for Yoruba movies. Consequently, I decided to stick with the Yoruba sector. However, I will be doing more of English soon. The real reason why I am sticking with the Yoruba sec­tor now is that I am Yoruba. However, I prefer English movies.

Why are you not close to some of your colleagues in the Yoruba film industry?

That is because I prefer keeping to myself and operating as a one-man-mopol instead of just gossiping about others.

But some of your friends believe that you are proud. Are you?

No, I’m not a proud person or what do you think? You see, I love doing things my own way. Despite keeping to myself, I still maintain a good relationship with them.

Despite spending over four years in the Yoruba film industry, you are not so prominent. Why is this so? 

I know that I’m good but I cannot force myself on producers. That’s the problem I’m facing but despite the odds, I’m not desperate to be popular. However, I’m planning to do my own thing personally.

Is it because you don’t have a god-father or boy-friend among the producers? 

Yes, I don’t have and I don’t intend having one either.

There is this allegation of sexual harrassment in the movie industry, have you been a victim? 

Yes, it is very rampant and that is why I have not been prominent because I always turn their offers down.

So, you have never dated anybody in the movie industry? 

Yes, and I don’t intend to date any.

So, you can’t date an actor? 

Yes.

You are not growing any younger, when do you intend to get married? 

Very soon.

Do you have somebody you are dating? 

Yes.

Who is he? 

That’s personal. When the time comes you will know him.

Despite the fact that you are not prominent and people are of the opinion that there is no money in the movie business, yet you are so comfortable, how do you make your money? 

I am a business woman; I buy and sell. I travel out of the country to buy stuff a lot. I am also into cosmetics and I do clothing as well.

You are very flashy and comfortable; don’t you think that such could scare men away? 

Like I told you earlier, I have a man in my life already and he is not scared.

Is he the man behind your success? 

I have always been comfortable because my business is doing well but it was not easy when I started because people owed me money and some never paid up.

What are you doing now? 

I’m working on my own movie entitled Atole. 

Acting is make belief; could you pose or act nude for $1billion? 

No I can’t act nude no matter the prize at stake.

No comments:

Post a Comment