Monday 20 October 2014

I’m hot for Bruno Mars –Naomi Mac

Naomi Mac, remem­ber her? The petit dark skinned beauty that enthralled Nige­rians at the maiden edition of Nigerian Idol in 2010. Back then Naomi was poised to win having performed credit­ably well and expectations were high. However, by a strange twist of fate, Naomi controversially lost out to Yeka Onka! Four years after that memorable night, the afro/pop singer shares her experience with The Entertainer and also talks about her new project christened Brand New Me.

Excerpts:

In 2013 you released a single, Kene Nebe Otu, how is it doing?

Well, it’s not doing badly. I have been working on a lot of stuff too.

How did you discover you could sing and when did the music start for you?

I am from a music family of eight. My sisters and I have been in music for a while. However, at some point, they decided to slow down a bit but I didn’t but we still do stuff together. I started singing at age 7 with my sisters but technically, as a musician, I started in November 2001 with my sisters in a girl group formally known as Star Sis­ters but now known as The Mac Sisters.

With the passion and talent with which you sang at Nigerian Idol, Nigerians believed you were the next big thing to happen. What hap­pened, did you lose steam?

It encourages me so much to know that people believe in me but I will say I have moved on though it sometimes feels like yesterday (laughter). Did I lose steam? Well, I did not and will not. I have been working a lot but I also had to concentrate a bit on school as well. So it has been a little hectic combining the both. I want to use this op­portunity to say thank you to my fans for believing in me.

What project are you working on right now?

I’m working on some new songs; it’s something different from what people know me for. I call the project Brand New Me. Hopefully, we will be done before the end of November.

Tell us about growing up. Where you born with a silver spoon?

Yes, but I lost it (Laughter); just kidding. Actually it’s been a lot of work since I was born. I wasn’t born with a silver spoon but for God’s grace, I and my siblings have pulled through life. I don’t believe in resting on my oars. I have worked hard to get to where I am and where I want to be. God has been merciful.

How has the Nigerian Idol platform robbed off on you?

Off course, it has rubbed off tremen­dously; it actually launched my career and also helped me build my self confidence for performance. I have met lots of people in the industry; it’s been amazing!

How did you handle the publicity that trailed you after Nigerian Idol?

Well I have always tried to stay level headed because I know I have not started yet and permit me to say, the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. I never allowed whatever was happening then to get to my head. I just tried to walk through the fame and I enjoyed it while it lasted.

What are those qualities you look out for in a guy?

Hmmm, some qualities are constant and do not need to be mentioned. But others will include calmness and sensitivity. And my guy has to be just a little protective (laugh­ter).

How do you get inspiration to write songs?

Most time I think about life and all that goes on in it and my experiences. Most of the songs I have written were inspired by people around me, my friends, family, fans and church members; I don’t write alone.

Who are your role models?

Alicia Keys, Beyonce, Brandy and Whit­ney. Back home I have Asa, Tuface and P-Square. There is a lot I love about them.

What did Nigerian idol deprive you of?

The first was losing my freedom. I could no longer jump out and buy roasted plantain and groundnut without been harassed by people (laughter). It was both challenging and fun though.

Are you in a relationship?

No.

Who is your celebrity crush?

Bruno Mars.

Why Bruno Mars?

He is just awesome, talented and good looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment