Friday 24 October 2014

Nobody Has An Excuse To Fail–Ice Prince

by Aderibigbe Tolulope, ANTHONY ADA ABRAHAM


Multiple award-winning Nigerian hip hop artiste and actor, Panshak Zamani aka Ice Prince, is the LEADERSHIP Artiste of the Year 2013. In this interview with ANTHONY ADA ABRAHAM AND ADERIBIGBE TOLULOPE he speaks on his award and other sundry issues.








How does winning the prestigious LEADERSHIP Artiste of the Year 2013 Award feel?

I feel elevated right now and really honoured. Receiving this award feels like a dream come true. No matter how many awards won, no matter many times you get recognised, the feeling is always new, fresh and like “Wow, is this really me?” I’m happy that the organisation has found me worthy of this and that’s why I’m here to personally receive it. It’s a great feeling.

How has the music industry been so far?

It’s been exciting, fun, rough, smooth… it has been a whole bundle of experience. I’m living the experience right now.

Ice Prince has been in the industry for a while now, what are your expectations for the industry?

I expect us to disturb the world more and more. Our music is gaining tremendous recognition; our music is getting out there and becoming international. We are doing bigger shows and tours. I expect to see more of that happening and our artistes becoming better and bigger.

How will this LEADERSHIP award spur you on?

When you win an award like this, you want to impress the people that have trusted and given you so much credibility; by making them proud and inspiring other people. When you win an award, it’s an assignment-that’s where the fire comes from. It makes you want to work more and put out better songs. That’s how I see it.

What’s the concept behind N-Word, which features Don Jazzy and others?

N- Word is a track from my Zamani album and Don Jazzy made the beat. He made the beat out of some randomness. I sent him a voice note about an idea I had in my head. I came back to Nigeria and he played me the beat; the rest was easy. When the album came out, it just happened to become a fan favourite. My people in South Africa spoke about doing a remix and when we went down to South Africa, I had AKA jump on it. It was around the MAMA awards period, so everybody was in South Africa at that time. So, when we were shooting the video, it was easy getting Sarkodie, Don Jazzy, AKA, Chopsticks, Kayswitch and everyone in it.

What song are you working on right now?

I’m not going to tell you that (laughs). I’m working on a lot of songs, so when you ask such questions sometimes, it’s hard to answer. I record songs everyday. The project I’m working on right now is a few releases from me before the end of the year and a record called Umm Ahh with a producer called Dre Beats. There’s another record called That Could Be Us and another called In the Morning, featuring Terry G. For now those are the records about to drop before the end of the year. I have others (artistes) I’m working with and I’m trying to sign on and bring out next year, my friend, Tosin.

What is your message to aspiring artistes, especially those that have been struggling to become famous?

I always say, “Look at me as an example”. I came from Jos, which it not really an entertainment driven zone and it’s really a far place; thus if I can come out of that and still attain this level of success, then nobody has an excuse to fail. That’s my number one message- if I can do it then you can do

How has Chocolate City played out for you?

Chocolate City is family for me; it’s provided me that platform to obviously reach, release and spread out my music to a larger audience. They have been with me from Day 1; they have handled all my releases till date.

What’s your message to LEADERSHIP Newspapers?

My message is for them to keep blessing Nigerians with all the content and the news we get informed and educated with. I will always lend my support and be there. My advice is for them to carry on and keep going and obviously bring up new magazines and newspapers as subsidiaries. I just want to encourage them to help others to reach the top; the way they are.

A message to your fans?

I wish my arms are long enough to hug every one of them at the same time. I feel love deep inside of me and I appreciate it. I don’t have a dad or mum; my fans are all that I have right now, apart from my sisters obviously. So, a big shout out to my fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment